COVID-19 Restrictions: Making a Comeback

As the specter of COVID-19 continues to loom, there’s been a resurgence of pandemic-era restrictions, sparking a flurry of debates and speculations.

The recent uptick in cases, primarily attributed to the EG 5 variant, led to the reintroduction of measures such as mask mandates and social distancing. Another variant, BA.2.86, also made its presence known in the US, albeit with minimal cases reported so far.

Despite the rise in cases, data from The Washington Times suggests that weekly hospitalizations and deaths remain significantly lower than during the pandemic’s peak.

This has led many to question the severity of the situation, with some even suggesting that the numbers are being exaggerated. CDC data from 2020 supports this skepticism, revealing that only 6% of deaths were solely due to COVID-19, while the remaining 94% had other contributing health conditions.

This resurgence of restrictions has not gone unnoticed by political commentators.

Figures like former gubernatorial candidate Kari Lake and conservative investor Collin Rugg have speculated that the timing of these measures is suspiciously aligned with the upcoming 2024 election cycle.

They argue the return of mandates could be a strategic move to influence the election process.

Prominent conservative voices like Ian Miles Cheong and Congresswoman Lauren Boebert have echoed these sentiments.

Cheong recently shared a clip of Dr. Fauci defending lockdowns, despite studies suggesting their ineffectiveness. Boebert, on the other hand, has vowed not to comply with any new restrictions, expressing her concerns about the potential return of COVID-19 protocols.

Research seems to support these concerns. Studies published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) and conducted by Johns Hopkins University found no substantial evidence that lockdowns significantly reduced COVID-19 cases or deaths.

Critics of the lockdown have also pointed out the severe emotional and substance abuse problems caused by these protocols.

However, despite the controversy, some entities quietly reintroduced these measures. Morris Brown College and Lionsgate, the Hollywood film studio, have both implemented mask mandates.

While the college’s mandate is set for a minimum of 14 days, Lionsgate’s directive remains in effect “until further notice.”

The Biden administration’s recent announcement of a $5 billion investment into developing more COVID-19 vaccines and treatments has further fueled fears of renewed lockdowns and mandates.

Although the announcement did not mention masks or social distancing, the focus on COVID-19 has left many wary of what lies ahead.

This article appeared in The State Today and has been published here with permission.

What do you think?

Written by Western Reader

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings

Carlos Santana Remains Resolute on Gender Identity Despite Backlash from Woke Culture

The Return of Mask Mandates